Marble countertops are elegant, sophisticated and simply gorgeous. The choice of culinary artists, bakers, pastry chefs and more, marble countertops elevate any space, whether in the kitchen, the bathroom or elsewhere. Marble countertops are a fantastic upgrade to your home that make a statement in a unique, one-of-a-kind way. True to form, they are one of a kind: no two marble slabs are ever exactly the same.
While their heft and durability give the impression that they are impermeable, marble is a natural stone product. Like all natural stone, marble requires a little extra attention to make sure it retains its beautiful finish and durability year after year. While your countertops don’t need a lot of extra work to keep them beautiful, there are some things that will be helpful to know to keep them looking their absolute best. Here are some of the most important things you can do to keep your marble countertops in perfect condition:
- Sealing: Marble countertops come with a seal applied on installation. This seal will need to be reapplied regularly to help prevent stains and damage to the marble. It’s easy to tell when your countertop needs to be sealed again: one indication is that water droplets won’t bead up on the surface anymore. Our team can teach you about what to look for to see if your marble countertop needs resealing, and the process itself is quite simple.
- Spot Treatment for Stains: If you missed a spot and it turned into a stain, don’t worry: you can probably remove it. A poultice paste will need to be applied; you can contact us about how to take care of it here at A Polished Finish, or check online for easy DIY treatments. Most of the time a stain will respond quite well to a poultice paste.
- Use cutting boards, trivets, and potholders: Marble is a relatively soft material, as difficult as that may be to believe. As such, it can be etched or scratched, so cutting on cutting boards is best for your countertops (and your knives.) While marble is heat-resistant, it’s difficult to know what might cause a scorch mark, so using trivets and potholders is best. Marble countertops are absolutely wonderful for rolling out dough, pastry or pasta of any kind, which is part of the reason they are so highly coveted by chefs, bakers and pastry artists.
- Wipe up spills immediately: Certain substances, especially highly acidic substances like vinegar, orange or lemon juice, can etch marble very quickly. This is part of the reason that maintaining the seal is so important. Wipe up any spills quickly with a soft cloth and mild soap or hydrogen peroxide.
- Clean Regularly: Keep your marble surfaces clean. Dust them regularly with a microfiber cloth. If they are in need of a wet cleaning, you can spray a non-abrasive, mild cleanser and rub gently in circles. Keep from scrubbing marble, however.
These simple, yet effective tips will help keep your marble countertops in fine condition. These kinds of countertops represent a significant investment, and it only makes sense to protect your investment and keep it looking brand-new. Marble countertops can last an actual lifetime if they are maintained and kept in good condition.
If you have any further questions or concerns about your marble countertops, or if you are looking to install marble countertops in your greater Atlanta-area home, A Polished Finish is your one-stop shop. Our selection will dazzle you, our prices are highly competitive, and our installation crews are absolutely superb. Contact us today and let’s get started on your journey into the world of marble.